Friday, May 10, 2013

Yellow Warblers

Yesterday I saw at least three Yellow Warblers! They're one of the newest birds to come to our backyard, and they're only here in summer. The males are bright yellow with olive wings and orange streaks on their chest. The females are a bit duller yellow, and they have very faint streaks on their chest. Also, some robins are building a nest ON our gutter, not in it. First it was the porch light, which they are not using, then it was a tree in the backyard, which they are not using! I hope they don't abandon this one too! And another new bird we're seeing is a Baltimore Oriole! They are beautiful orange and black birds with a whistley "he who who lee." I heard another strange bird this morning, but even though we are WAY out of range for it, I think, think, think, that I heard a Carolina Chickadee.
 I caught this Yellow Warbler at the right time, didn't I? 
 Perching Yellow Warbler.
 Possible mates? One at the top, one at the bottom.
 The Robin nest. They had better keep this one long enough!
 Strange, shiny stones. They almost don't look natural.
Baltimore Oriole! This picture is about as good as it gets.

No comments:

Post a Comment