Thursday, November 7, 2013

Five New Birds

I have seen five new birds in three days! That's a new record for me! The first bird I saw was a Towhee. Spotted or Eastern? I don't know! But I'm leaning towards Spotted Towhee. Oh, and did you know, that just like the Baltimore Oriole and the Bullock's Oriole were lumped together as one species(Northern Oriole), the Eastern Towhee and the Spotted Towhee were lumped together as the Rufous Sided Towhee. But, since I can't really say I saw a Rufous Sided Towhee, it has to be Spotted or Eastern! What do you think? The next bird I saw was a Fox Sparrow. I may have seen one last year, but I don't remember, so I'm just gonna call it new. Another bird was a Golden Crowned Kinglet. When I saw this, I just went 'gasp' and snapped a picture. the next one that showed up was a American Tree Sparrow. Nothing much to say about this bird except that I got a good picture. The last bird was a Bonaparte's Gull. Dad and I went to Saylorville lake and saw some fish skeletons and a big flock of Ring Billed Gulls. I started taking pictures and looking at them closely, hoping to find a Herring Gull. But what I found was the Bonaparte's Gull, and that's good enough for me!
Towhee. But is it Spotted or Eastern? I'm thinking Spotted!

Another look at the Towhee's wings and tail.


Fox Sparrow.

Golden Crowned Kinglet.

American Tree Sparrow.

The small gull in the middle with the black spot is the Bonaparte's gull. The rest are Ring billed gulls.

No comments:

Post a Comment